What does buildings insurance cover?

As well as fire, flood, and storm damage to the physical structure of your home, buildings insurance can cover you for:

  • subsidence and heave
  • burst pipes
  • accidental damage
  • gardens and patios
  • swimming pools
  • temporary accommodation if you have to move out of your home while it’s being repaired

Check your policy to see exactly what it includes. You can always add on extra cover.

Who is buildings insurance for?

  • If you’re a homeowner with a mortgage, your lender will usually insist that you have adequate buildings cover for the term of your mortgage – that is, while the mortgage company has an interest in the property. You’ll typically need to have buildings insurance in place on the date you exchange contracts, as this is when you become legally responsible for the property.
  • If you don’t have a mortgage, there’s no legal requirement to have buildings insurance – but remember that repairs to your home can be very expensive. Taking out a buildings insurance policy could save you money in the long run and might give you peace of mind too.
  • If you’re renting, then it’s usually your landlord’s responsibility to have buildings insurance in place – the only thing you need to worry about as a tenant is your own insurance.